You hear about fiber-optic cables whenever people talk about the telephone system, the cable TV system or the Internet. Fiber-optic lines are strands of optically pure glass as thin as a human hair that carry digital information over long distances. They are also used in medical imaging and mechanical engineering inspection.
Why are fiber-optic systems revolutionising telecommunications? Well compared to conventional metal wire (copper wire), optical fibers are:
- Less expensive - Several miles of optical cable can be made cheaper than equivalent lengths of copper wire.
- Thinner - Optical fibers can be drawn to smaller diameters than copper wire.
- Higher carrying capacity - Because optical fibers are thinner than copper wires, more fibers can be bundled into a given-diameter cable than copper wires.
- Less signal degradation - The loss of signal in optical fiber is less than in copper wire.
- Light signals - Unlike electrical signals in copper wires, light signals from one fiber do not interfere with those of other fibers in the same cable. This means clearer phone conversations or TV reception.
- Digital signals - Optical fibers are ideally suited for carrying digital information, which is especially useful in computer networks.
- Non-flammable - Because no electricity is passed through optical fibers, there is no fire hazard.
- Lightweight - An optical cable weighs less than a comparable copper wire cable and Fiber-optic cables take up less space in the ground.
Elan Networks roots are in cabling, we have been installing and supporting cabling infrastructures throughout the UK for over 20 years, our in – house highly skilled engineers deliver projects on time and within budget to very high standards.
Multimode Fibre Optics
We can install OM1, OM2, OM3 and OM4 standard fibre optic cabling in either internal or external environments. Cabling can either be 62.5/125 or 50/125. Cabling can also either be Tight Buffered and Loose Tube Construction.
Single Mode Fibre optics
For single mode fibre optic cabling we can install your requirements in various applications internally and externally.
Fibre Optic Terminations
We provide terminations for ST, SC, LC, and MTRJ applications. We can also provide patch leads to incorporate the various terminations.
Fibre to Desk (FTD)
To keep up with high speed data transfer, fibre to desk applications are now more popular and using our extensive experience in office locations, we can transfer our experience to installing fibre to work desks in false floors, false ceilings and partition walls.
We offer the choice to splice your existing fibre cabling to extend or relocate cabling without the need to rerun the entire cable length. Fusion splice machines are used at all times to terminate new cable installations to achieve minimal loss during terminating joints.
Fibre Optic Testing – OTDR
For faulty or suspected broken fibre cabling we can test your existing cabling and find the exact point of failure along the cable enabling a corrective splice and removing the need for new cabling and disruption.